Washington, D.C; a place which is not only famous for its traditional D.C attractions like; the U.S. Capitol, the monuments but also professional business network for its fresh food, arts, natural view and finally its nightlife scenes.
Travel by Metro over here is easy but the best way to explore the city is by riding a bike.
Walking at the halls of Smithsonian museums, paddling on the Potomac and Anacostia rivers and city tour by double Decker tour bus; all of these are very enjoyable and fun to explore.
The best time to visit Washington D.C is at the end of March and into April. You will find thousands of pink cherry blossoms at the Tidal Basin. The natural beauty and the weather look amazing at that time.
So if you’re planning a trip to Washington D.C with your family – friends then please keep the following places in your bucket list. Here we have mentioned some good places and activities that you can do with your friends and family and make your journey memorable.
Top 3 Places to Visit in Washington D.C
The famous Lincoln Memorial is the most visited place in Washington D.C. History’s two famous speeches, the second inaugural address and the Gettysburg Address, which are both etched into the memorial’s opposing walls. You will be surprised by its history, art, and architecture.
You will get a good knowledge of American History and Culture. It’s a perfect place of afternoon photo shooting. So you should go over there with your friends and family and experience the history and natural beauty of this place.
- Price & Hours: – Free; 24/7 daily.
- Location: – 2 Lincoln Memorial Circle NW.
The Tidal Basin
If you’ve never been to D.C. before then you should spend some time alone at the Tidal basin. It’s a 2-mile long pond which was attached to the Potomac River.
Every spring, Tidal Basin bursts with color as cherry blossom trees bloom into light pink colored tuffs, and they attract hordes of visitors.
You can walk around the pond, enjoying the natural beauty. Or, you can also do boating. Paddleboats are also available (Rent $18 per hour) there. So, if you’re planning a trip to Washington D.C. you should once come over here.
- Price & Hours: – Free; 24/7 daily.
- Location: – West Potomac Park.
Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum
Every year millions of people come here to see the US aircraft and space items which were the part of America’s eminent history.
This museum contains so many celebrated aircraft, including Amelia Earhart’s Lockheed Vega 5B, Charles Lindbergh’s Spirit of St.
There also present an IMAX theatre and the Einstein Planetarium. So, a tour of this museum is one of the best things to do with kids in Washington D.C. and it will increase their scientific knowledge also.
There present a 3 level huge gift shop, so you can do good shopping from here as well.
- Price & Hours: – Free; 10 A.M to 5.30 P.M
- Location: – 600 Independence Ave. SW
Also Visit: Zion National Park – the USA Travel
There are some other places also which you should explore with your Friends and Family if you are coming to Washington D.C.
- Vietnam Veterans and Korean War veterans Memorials.
- National Gallery of Art.
- The John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts
- United States Holocaust Memorial Museum
- Washington National Cathedral
- National World War 2 Memorial
- National Archives Museum
And many more.
Things to do with kids in Washington D.C
Washington DC is one of the best places to visit with Kids. There are several budgets – friendly options but more importantly, the tour of these museums and memorials will be very informative for kids. It will not be boring; they will really enjoy the tour. So ‘learning with fun’ is the best thing; they can get from here.
You should do the following things with your kids whenever you’re coming to Washington DC.
- Visit the monuments and memorials
- Explore the kid’s sections at the Smithsonian Museums
- Watch money being made at the Bureau of Engraving and Printing
- Assume a new identity at the Spy Museum
- Take the Paddle Boats out in the Tidal Basin
- Run around the Mount Vernon
- Attend a Sports Game
You can also attend a Pay – What – You – Like – Tour with your kids. It may cost some bit extra but it will increase the knowledge of your kids. You can book these tours online from various sites.
Things to do in Washington DC at Night
The night is young here. You can spend a good time with your friends. The city has lots of Restaurants, Bars, Clubs, and Music Venues. So you can enjoy the whole night at the next level. Here we have shared a list of some things/activities which DC offers to you.
- Try a julep at the Round Robin
- Bask in 1920s glamour at the St. Regis Bar
- Make the Next Whisky Bar Your Last
- Hideout near the White House
- Enjoy the grandeur of the Trump International Hotel’s Benjamin Bar.
- Get Groovy at the Capitol Skyline Hotel’s poolside bar
- Raise a pint at Capitol Hill’s The Dubliner
- Kick back in elegant English Style at the Blue Bar Lounge
- Drink Up by the fire at the Tabard Inn
- Unwind at one of the W Hotel’s snazzy lounges
Total Cost of a one week tour of Washington DC will be around $2500 per person. That is not so expensive compared to NYC and LA. As most of the known visiting places are free to explore, so it will be a budget-friendly tour for you as well. Washington DC is a place where you can learn something new, you can explore something new and finally, you can enjoy a good trip at a good budget. So if you are going to Washington DC with your Friends and Family then don’t forget to check these places. You will be amazed by this trip.
Reference: Washington, D.C.